Individual posts about series and topics that caught my interest. Organized in more-or-less chronological order.
- The Hero Appears! Ping-Pong and the Asobi Spirit
Anime: Ping-Pong: The Animation, an 11-episode series directed by Yuasa Masaaki. Adapted from the manga by Matsumoto Taiyou.
- Heroine Boys and Princely Girls: How Nozaki-kun is Challenging Gender Roles in Fiction
Anime: Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun), a 12-episode series directed by Yamazaki Mitsue. Adapted from the manga by Tsubaki Izumi.
- A Tokyo Ghoul Retrospective; Or, “Waiter, There’s a Tragedy in my Horror Anime!”
Anime: Tokyo Ghoul, a 24-episode series directed by Morita Shuhei. Adapted from the manga by Ishida Sui.
- My Love(ish) Story: Anime, Aces, and Suna-min Rolls
A personal essay about asexual representation in anime and the importance of Sunakawa Makoto in My Love Story (Ore Monogatari)!!
- Capriccio of Fantasy & Power: The Silly Brilliance of Dance with Devils
Anime: Dance with Devils, a 12-episode MUSICAL! directed by Yoshimura Ai and written by Konparu Tomoko.
- Tanaka-kun is Always Listlessly…
- In The Moment; Or, Zen and the Art of Laziness
- Growing Up; Or, Taking the
StaircaseElevator to Adulthood
- Defying Appearances; Or, Delinquency is Only Skin Deep
Anime: Tanaka-kun is Always Listless (Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge) a 12-episode series directed by Kawatsura Shinya. Adapted from the manga by Uda Nozomi.
- Magic-Kyun Renaissance and the Spark(le) of Creativity
Anime: Magic-Kyun Renaissance, a 12-episode series directed by Yamazaki Mitsue and written by Kanparu Tomoko.
- The Nail That Sticks Up: Haikyu!! and the Power of Weirdos
Anime: Haikyu!!, an ongoing series directed by Mitsunaka Susumu. Adapted from the manga by Furudate Haruichi.
Manga, Western TV, &etc.
- The Korra Retrospective: A series “review” that swiftly spiraled into an essay
Series: The Legend of Korra, the 52-episode Nickelodeon series created by Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante Dimartino.
- No Geek Girls Need Apply: Bias & Blind Spots in Princess Jellyfish Vol. 1
Manga: Princess Jellyfish, by Higashimura Akiko
- Watch Me If You Can: Context & Nuance in Imperfect Fiction
A sprawling essay outlining my thoughts on engaging with our favorite stories (and one another).
Here, There, Everywhere
Articles written for and hosted on other sites.
From Anime Feminist
- So That I Could Be Myself: Gender Performance in Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Yuri on Ice
How two very different male protagonists use their art forms as an outlet to express their femininity.
- AniFem Roundtable: For the Love of Trash Characters
The team talks “trash characters,” those flawed darlings we relate to more than we’d like to admit.
- Gals of All Stripes: ClassicaLoid & the Girls’ Day Out
An exuberant exploration and celebration of what it means to be a girl.
- [Fan vs Service] WorldEnd vs Hajime no Ippo
When bad frames happen to good people.
- Moon Crisis Make-Up! How Chiaki Kon Saved Sailor Moon Crystal
A little love goes a long way in Sailor Moon Crystal‘s third season.
- How Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE‘s 2nd Season Struck Comedy Gold
This goofball series perfectly captures what it’s like to be in high school.
- Light Novel vs. Anime: Baccano! and the Art of Adaptation
How the anime differs from the source material–and why that’s a good thing.